Mandrake 10.0 ****** up my HD

aze

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey! im a linux newbie but not a HD newbie! I use custom partition and format tools and have experience with HDs. If my HD was a sansung I'd buy a new with no problem but its a 7200rpm 80gb maxtor. now i'll need to back up 80gb and say to the vendor: "This hd isnt good because mandrake ****** up its mbr! Change it for me pls"

I never heard something like that on other distros...

For me, a software that damages the hardware is a virus!

mandrake is a virus!

mandrake is a virus!

mandrake is a virus!

Dude, read the Mandrake Bugzilla entry and you knew it is a Kernel 2.6 related new issue.

http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7959#c21

Many of ocilent1's suggestion are solid and you can try and see if you can resolve the issue. According to many posters at LinuxQuestions, many of them found their ways to solve the problem.

I still believe the problem is fixable, unless you have an unlucky coincident harddrive failure on your own.

Edited by zero0w

You may have gotten a bad hard drive.(it happens- Maxtor or Western Digital) Contact Maxtor and ask them to replace the drive. They may give you the run around, but if it's less that a year old your warranty is still good. They should give you a RMA number and have you send them the old drive, you may be able to get your retailer to help you. Good Luck, I know how frustrating it is to have a drive fail.

For those of you still interested, there's a butload of new updates for mdk10, one in particular for hardrake which addresses the winxp boot problem:

o fix "xp does not boot anymore" (#7302, #7959, #8891)

o add --change-geometry=<device>=[<cylinders>,]<heads>,<sectors> option in order to allow forcing the geometry used in the partition table. This allows helping poor Windows booting using old int13 function 2.  This should work when Windows has not been resized.

- drakclock: fix server lookup (#8846)

I don't know if this will be of any help once the damage is done, however.

guys, i checked in other forums for all possible solutions and i tried EVERYTHING.

the only two things i dont did yet is

- change my HD on store I have bought it.

- format entire HD

because i'm working now.

the problem is that since i installed the mandrakelinux 10 comunity it C-O-R-R-U-P-T-E-D my HD's mbr sector! I bougth the better hd I could and you (aRTee) say me to buy a better hardaware?!!

Read again. I was commenting on your LG cdrom, that can be revived and was therefore not entirely lost, and besides, it was an LG 'quick engineering' mistake, not Mandrake's. It's ok if you call Mandrake a crappy product, except when for the wrong reasons.

On a side note, your harddrive is fine, it's just that windows is a crappy product:

Part of the reason I could not understand the bug, is that I could not

believe windows XP was still using the error prone int13 function 2

(CHS based) instead of the (available everywhere for some time) int13

function 0x42.

Another tip that can help, but will wipe your linux installation, or at least the newly created partitions: use a maxtor rescue floppy disk (forgot if they are called maxblast or something else) and restore one of your former partition tables - this should put things back the way they were before muddling with the admitted crappy Mandrake 10.0CE diskdrake.

Why in heaven I'm actually trying to help you is beyond me, but maybe I'm beyond help anyway... :twisted:

[edit]

1) to link to bugreports, don't use https://qa.mandrakesoft.com but http://qa.mandrakesoft.com - it is faster and puts less load on the mdk system

2) ocilent1, you wrote:

For me, once the table was corrupted I had to wipe the table to get windows to install/boot again, and take note, wiping the partition table meant that I lost everything on that hard drive.

In your case too you could have reverted to the former partition table.

All hard drives keep track of previous tables, at least 15 of them - you can select by date which one you would like restored with the aforementioned hd rescue floppy. Been there, done that... B)

Edited by aRTee

All hard drives keep track of previous tables, at least 15 of them - you can select by date which one you would like restored with the aforementioned hd rescue floppy. Been there, done that...  B)

Hey thanks for all your input here aRTee.

I never knew that you could recover your previously partition tables!!! You learn something new everyday, just wish I knew that before I re-installed everything. Now, off to find that disk.......

B)

I must say though,overall I am very impressed with Mandy 10.0 (yes even with this nasty partition table bug). I am certainly not going to let a bug like that drive me away from linux, it would take alot more!!!

And to all the guys complaining about this bug, you should remember that this is not the final Mandrake 10.0 version, so you should be expecting some bugs, although I must admit, maybe not quite as nasty as this one. If you want a rock solid, stable and bugless version, wait to the 'Mandrake 10.0 Official' version comes out.

Cheers!!!

:cheesy:

All hard drives keep track of previous tables, at least 15 of them - you can select by date which one you would like restored with the aforementioned hd rescue floppy. Been there, done that...  B)

Hey thanks for all your input here aRTee.

I never knew that you could recover your previously partition tables!!! You learn something new everyday, just wish I knew that before I re-installed everything. Now, off to find that disk.......

B)

I must say though,overall I am very impressed with Mandy 10.0 (yes even with this nasty partition table bug). I am certainly not going to let a bug like that drive me away from linux, it would take alot more!!!

And to all the guys complaining about this bug, you should remember that this is not the final Mandrake 10.0 version, so you should be expecting some bugs, although I must admit, maybe not quite as nasty as this one. If you want a rock solid, stable and bugless version, wait to the 'Mandrake 10.0 Official' version comes out.

Cheers!!!

:cheesy:

So very true.

Best practice , if you are going to dabble with Beta's , BACK UP, and secondly be prepared to get burnt occassionaly.

I backed up before trying MDK 10 , and yes it zapped me to , but all I lost was a couple of emails and an a few hours fixing my machine ( but that was fun).

And to "aze" you don't need to replace you HDD ,

Put in your WnXP disk reboot , blow away all the partitions , make one big make you whole HDD

a partition , reboot , select recovery , do a fix/mbr and fix/boot , and reinstall .

Yes you will lose your data , but mark up to lifes colorful experiences .

Hi All,

I am somewhat new to Linux, the last version i used was 7.0. I just last night downloaded and burnt the 10.0 iso's. I was going to install tonight after i get off work but after reading the problems here i am a little worried.

I was wondering...if i partition my drive using partition magick will i run into the same problem when i go to do the initial install? I know i need to start with disk 2 in the drive first...just worried about the hdd getting messed up.

Thanks for any and all assistance :)

I used PM8/ext3 and told the installer/diskdrake (install in expert mode) not to format. No problems here but I'm win2k not xp. I don't see why that matters becasue the work around is formating b4 install and not allowing diskdrake to format. This being from what I've read and seen of course.

Yes, aRTee it is MaxBlast. Great utility.

I used PM8/ext3 and told the installer/diskdrake (install in expert mode) not to format. No problems here but I'm win2k not xp. I don't see why that matters becasue the work around is formating b4 install and not allowing diskdrake to format. This being from what I've read and seen of course.

Yes, aRTee it is MaxBlast. Great utility.

BVC,

I have PM7, not PM8. Sorry, i should have mentioned that lol :D So, what your saying is if i use my PM to partition and format the new area of the drive then i should be okay then?

I will be dual booting, Windows ME (unfortunately) and Mandrake 10.0. This is the first time i will be using PM. Does 7.0 give the option of formating using the ext3 format?

Thanks for your help :D

No, pm7 is ext2 (linux), which is a nightmare if you have a bad shutdown or something.

I haven't read a lot but I thought this was a xp issue. I could see it effecting 2k (NT) but not ME. Check/search for yourself though.

Oh, and we're in someone elses thread. :D

Edited by bvc

Hi guys,

i have got the same problem, I installed MDK 10 and it corrupted my MBR. It freaks it out so much that a winxp cd cant run, it stalls. The only way i have found to repair it to remove winxp and give mdk10 the whole cd. Bad news.

I have a maxtor 120Gb and western digit 200gb same prob on both.

I have lost all the stuff on the maxtor, please dont make me lose the stuff on the western digit.

Knoppix is fine with the partitions and allows me to copy stuff between them without any issues. What's up with 10?

Also i have a m-audio delta 410 sound card ( PCI alsa ) which worked out of the box in 9.2. Why the hassle in 10. is it all to do with the kernel?

Thanks

K

I want to make a few points here. First, the Maxblast utility will quickly establish whether the drive is gone. So let's get on with the issue and get that fixed. I do not see how an mbr error trashed a hard drive to the point of making it unusable. I can appreciate the level of anger at the thought that this was caused by Mandrake.

Next, Partition Magic 8 can be used to pre-partition the disk with ext 3. I use it all the time for that purpose, but it still is the case that LBA (Linear Block Addressing) should be enabled in the bios to ensure proper drive performance with !0.0. Next there was a comment back on the first page that Maxtor drives are no good for system files.

I use twin 30 Gb. Maxtor drives in my second machine for two years without a problem. The machine still has Mandrake 9.2 installed without problems and I regard that version as an abortion compared to 10.0 CE.

Counterspy