Something I think could improve Linux gaming

Gnubie

Well, I've been thinking it would be cool if there was an inexpensive gaming console that some variant of Linux. I think it could be a success if there were no licensing fees, so game developers could develop for it freely and could offer their games at a cheaper price, and also since this console is basically using computer hardware and Linux it can also be used to surf the internet as well as the other functions of a computer.

Now, if this idea worked out it would help gaming on Linux since the games made for this console should be able to be run on linux computers, or if not then should be able to be easily ported to computers running Linux. What do you guys think? Is it a good idea, or is it stupid? :screwy:

No, there have been consoles that can surf the net...My friend has a Dreamcast with a disc that does that. I mean, like, having a desktop and stuff would make it a computer, but just having a net surfing prog wouldn't...Though, if it used Linux, I have no doubt someone would at least attempt to port a desktop to it. But why not? it'd still be cheaper.

hmmm...perhaps someone could adjust Falcon Northwest's Fragbox into this... :P

Edited by Urza9814

Where's dolson? I could swear I remember he did a project for school or something, made a thing called the Icebox. Basically a game console that ran linux (mandrake or debian he had, i forget). He even made a game for it called battle pong.

here's the project page he had for it..

http://aslan.no-ip.com/~icebox/

It has mandrake linux ;P (just checking the site, interresting :P)

Yea, but I think I remember him telling me before that Mandrake crapped out and he installed debian onto it instead.

Also you would probably be running the games from the disk; very little hard drive needed...only one CD drive needed...no floppy drive...no USB ports...a crappy sound card would do, no mic or line in needed...no seriel ports...etc...with generic parts, it could get really cheap...

But, I think it'd be better if you didn't use computer parts...I mean, you making it at home probably couldn't do that. But a business could. I mean, look at the X-Box. That thing's got great hardware and stuff, but only $200! making that outta comp parts would be a lot more expensive.

Edited by Urza9814

Also you would probably be running the games from the disk; very little hard drive needed...only one CD drive needed...no floppy drive...no USB ports...a crappy sound card  would do, no mic or line in needed...no seriel ports...etc...with generic parts, it could get really cheap...

But, I think it'd be better if you didn't use computer parts...I mean, you making it at home probably couldn't do that. But a business could. I mean, look at the X-Box. That thing's got great hardware and stuff, but only $200! making that outta comp parts would be a lot more expensive.

I think it would need USB ports, for the controllers. :cheesy:

And, umm, the xbox IS made out of computer parts. The only thing different with my idea, is that it would have to be sold for more because there would be no licensing fees to make up the loss.

The x-box are custom made parts though, right? like, you couldn't take the stuff out and put it in your comp...

There's also the gamecube....PS2...all good systems, but way cheaper than a comp...

i read a while ago that play station 3 is supposed to run embeded linux. :D imagine the possibilities :cheesy: :D :headbang:

You can already get Linux for the PS2 and load Linux on an X-box all fairly easily.

The OS running on a console is a very basic animal, all it has to do really is start the media running and allocate resources. That is why consoles don't crash or generally give problems (combined with the hardware being standard).

As for cheap games, I highly doubt that, no matter what the operating system is. Console games are one of the biggest selling things in the World right now, it's HUGE business. Besides, with Sony's Platinum range and Microsoft clambering to keep up with Sony, games get cheaper all the time.

I'm not breaking down your idea though, I like it.