Awesome video editing...

Urza9814

looking for a cheap (preferably free, but I'll go up to about $50...that's all I can afford though) but freaking awesome video editing prog. Like, not cut and paste type editing...not transition editing...but, like, green screen editing...adding backgrounds...I'll settle for single frame editing too if I have to...but it needs a GUI...it's not really anything important...just cool...and a 30-day...15-day...even, like, 5-day trial would be fine. I doubt there is one, but it'd be cool for our band music videos we're planning...I have no clue how we're gonna do them ATM...

I can't get Cinelerra to install.

[urza9814@localhost urza9814]$ rpm -i --force --nodeps /home/urza9814/Documents/cinelerra-1.1.9-1.i386.rpm

error: cannot open lock file //var/lib/rpm/RPMLOCK in exclusive mode

error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm

[urza9814@localhost urza9814]$ rpm -ivl /home/urza9814/Documents/cinelerra-1.1.9-1.i386.rpm

error: Failed dependencies:

libXv.so.1 is needed by cinelerra-1.1.9-1

[urza9814@localhost urza9814]$ rpm -ivl --nodeps /home/urza9814/Documents/cinelerra-1.1.9-1.i386.rpm

error: cannot open lock file //var/lib/rpm/RPMLOCK in exclusive mode

error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm

Don't bother with Cinelerra. It's not stable. It's chrashing all the time and the results of your work will look horrible

I think I have tried all video editing packages that exist for Linux and none will do what I want (basic stuff). Best is to wait and try again in a few months. (Kdenlive) looks promising but is still alpha)

I couldn't get filmgimp working either...I got up to ./configure...nothing after that worked...I was using what it said in the install.txt:

$ tar xvfz filmgimp-0.x.tgz

$ cd filmgimp-0.6

$ ./configure

$ make

$ su

# make install

# exit

$ filmgimp

only changes was the first line I used tar -xzvf /home/.... and I had to replace 'filmgimp' with 'cinepaint-0.18-1'

Aight, I'm stupid...cinelerra installed as root...but here's what I got now:

cinelerra: error while loading shared libraries: libXv.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

where the heck do I get libXv.so.1?

Edited by Urza9814

Urza9814, you should get Cinelerra and FilmGimp (CinePaint) mandrake rpm at here:

1. Cinelerra RPM from PLF:

http://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/linux/plf/...drake/9.2/i586/

2. CinePaint RPM from thac's rpm site:

http://rpm.nyvalls.se/graphics9.2.html

BTW, thac's rpm site also hosted Jakashsa, an OpenML/GL based video effect editing suite (Adobe After Effect equivalent).

Cinelerra gets this:

Cinelerra is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License,

and you are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under

certain conditions. There is absolutely no warranty for Cinelerra.

PluginServer::open_plugin: /usr/lib/cinelerra/decimate.plugin: undefined symbol: _ZN13PluginVClient13get_framerateEv

PluginServer::open_plugin: /usr/lib/cinelerra/loopaudio.plugin: undefined symbol: _ZN13PluginAClient14get_samplerateEv

PluginServer::open_plugin: /usr/lib/cinelerra/loopvideo.plugin: undefined symbol: _ZN13PluginVClient13get_framerateEv

PluginServer::open_plugin: /usr/lib/cinelerra/overlay.plugin: undefined symbol: _ZN13PluginVClient13get_framerateEv

Aborted

it shows the splash screen...but then it dies...

Cinepaint I'm gonna do later...all the dependencies...my comp is old and slow and I'm kinda busy ATM

Where do I get this stuff?:

[urza9814@localhost urza9814]$ rpm -ivl /home/urza9814/Documents/RPMs/Cinepaint/libcinepaint0-0.18.0-2thac.i586.rpm

libHalf.so.0 is needed by libcinepaint0-0.18.0-2thac

libIex.so.0 is needed by libcinepaint0-0.18.0-2thac

libIlmImf.so.0 is needed by libcinepaint0-0.18.0-2thac

libImath.so.0 is needed by libcinepaint0-0.18.0-2thac

[urza9814@localhost urza9814]$ rpm -ivl /home/urza9814/Documents/RPMs/Cinepaint/OpenEXR-1.0.5-1thac.i586.rpm

libOpenEXR0 >= 1.0.5 is needed by OpenEXR-1.0.5-1thac

libHalf.so.0 is needed by OpenEXR-1.0.5-1thac

libIex.so.0 is needed by OpenEXR-1.0.5-1thac

libIlmImf.so.0 is needed by OpenEXR-1.0.5-1thac

libImath.so.0 is needed by OpenEXR-1.0.5-1thac

[urza9814@localhost urza9814]$ rpm -ivl /home/urza9814/Documents/RPMs/Cinepaint/libOpenEXR0-1.0.5-1thac.i586.rpm

OpenEXR >= 1.0.5 is needed by libOpenEXR0-1.0.5-1thac

Note the last two...you can't install one without the other which you can't install without the first...it's a never ending dependency cycle! :P suppose I'll have to force one, right?

urpmi is the Mandrake cli update utility. It is installed by default (your graphical updaters like Mandrake Update, Install Software, etc depend on it)

You can read about how to use urpmi in RPM-02 in out FAQ forum. It should guide you through most of the questions you would have about the program and how to use it.

Cinelerra gets this:

Cinelerra is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License,

and you are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under

certain conditions. There is absolutely no warranty for Cinelerra.

Aborted

it shows the splash screen...but then it dies...

I found this too after using it on MDK 9.2.

Strange, PLF rpm has been working on MDK 9.1; maybe PLF has screwed up in this version/package.