dracut error on boot [solved]

Guest leon244

Guest leon244

I have been having some freezes recently with no reponses from keyboard or mouse, so have had to hard reboot. This last time when rebooting I was given a message from "dracut" . It dropped me to a shell during the reboot and I had to enter "exit" and then booting continued. After I rebooted I was able to get this section from dmesg:

dracut: dracut-013-2
dracut: Starting plymouth daemon
dracut: Checking ext4: /dev/disk/by-uuid/faeb405a-79bc-4782-884b-391115f1fa03
dracut: issuing e2fsck -a  /dev/disk/by-uuid/faeb405a-79bc-4782-884b-391115f1fa03
dracut Warning: e2fsck returned with 4
dracut Warning: /dev/disk/by-uuid/faeb405a-79bc-4782-884b-391115f1fa03: Superblock last mount time is in the future.
dracut Warning: (by less than a day, probably due to the hardware clock being incorrectly set) FIXED.
dracut Warning: /dev/disk/by-uuid/faeb405a-79bc-4782-884b-391115f1fa03 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
dracut Warning: /dev/disk/by-uuid/faeb405a-79bc-4782-884b-391115f1fa03: Inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found.
dracut Warning: *** An error occurred during the file system check.
dracut Warning: *** Dropping you to a shell; the system will try
dracut Warning: *** to mount the filesystem(s), when you leave the shell.
dracut Warning: 
dracut: Remounting /dev/disk/by-uuid/faeb405a-79bc-4782-884b-391115f1fa03 with -o acl,relatime,ro
dracut: Mounted root filesystem /dev/sdb1
dracut: Switching root

I have never encountered dracut. Is there a physical problem with this disk? I can boot and all seems to work normally, but am not sure if I need to do anything further.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Leon

Chances are it's wanting you to manually check the disk with fsck to fix it, because it can't do it on it's own. Probably wants you to choose yes or no for fixing a couple of things. I'd expect just some filesystem inconsistences other than a physical problem with the disk, although there is always a possibility for this.

You'll need to boot it in single user mode (they might call it something else in the boot menu), there might be a boot entry for this, so that you can then fix it. Alternatively, if the computer boots normally, open a terminal and su to root and then type:

init 1

that's the number one, so that you can be in single user mode and fix your partitions.

Guest leon244

Chances are it's wanting you to manually check the disk with fsck to fix it, because it can't do it on it's own. Probably wants you to choose yes or no for fixing a couple of things. I'd expect just some filesystem inconsistences other than a physical problem with the disk, although there is always a possibility for this.

Ian, thank you. You were correct. The next time I booted and it dropped me into a shell I ran e2fsck on the named partition and did the repairs it wanted. When I rebooted the error message was gone.

Thank you again for the solution.

Edited by leon244