[SOLVED] Samsung laser printer lost

Trio3b

USB connected Samsung ML-2151N mono-laser printer was automagically installed on PCLOS 2010 on Toshiba A305 laptop via printerdrake and has been fine for about 2 months with all apps except PDF's which have been slow but I did nothing about it until now, so I tinkered with some GUI settings and printer now no longer prints.

This printer has been automagically recognized and operational for years on MDV 2005LE, 2008.1, and most recently on a desktop with PCLOS 2009.1 and the Tosh laptop with PCLOS 2010.

1. A Brother DCP7020 prints quickly including pdf's on the Tosh laptop (pclos 2010).

2. The Samsung prints fine including quick pdf's on two desktops (MDV2008.1) and another desktop with PCLOS 2009.1.

Preface: Samsung shows up in lsusb on Tosh laptop

I generally hard cycle the printer and reboot after all the following procedures:

3. So now let's just stick with Samsung on Tosh laptop. Removed printer and reinstalled via PCC. Samsung is installable via printerdrake via PCC and then seen by CUPS and shows up in application print dialogues- but no printing

4. Removed printer again via printerdarke- tried reinstalling via CUPS - no go - CUPS admin in browser accepted root username/ password ONCE but no longer will accept any combination of username and psswd. Have read threads about adding cupsys, lpadmin to /etc/group. etc etc. Should not have to do this.(sorry but don't think much of CUPS web administration, never have, and neither do others) BTW, I CAN delete printer from printerdrake but CANNOT delete it from CUPS once it has been installed via printerdarke (PCC), so deleted printer again via PCC printerdrake.

5. Installed Samsung unified linux driver which installs fine but then "add printer" does not recognize its own printer.

I must have altered something in trying to solve slow pdf's ( 1 page every 2-3 minutes) but don't know what I did. Can't figure why Samsung shows up in lsusb, printerdrake, CUPS and application dialogues, but no printing from ANY app, including printerdrake test pages.

Final clue:(I believe CUPS is showing this USB connected printer on a parallel port)

Related question: Why does task-printing package show up as installed but size is 0 bytes in synaptic? The Brother DCP all-in-one mono-laser is working fine on the Tosh so I guess task-printing must be installed and working? Yes?

Any ideas appreciated

Edited by Trio3b

Let's get some misconceptions cleared up first.

1. Each distro is different and behave differently, so while in one distro you don't have to add your user to certain groups, in others you do. This is due to security and the fact that your user does not have the permissions to access the devices directly, whereas the groups do. Whilst you might not feel you have to do it, or shouldn't, sometimes you have to. The misconception here either comes from Windows users who expect things just to work, or that because you used one distro it worked, and then another it doesn't. Perhaps Mandriva changed and now made this a requirement. Or perhaps printerdrake sorts this out for you.

2. While the drake tools are good, sometimes they cause more problems than they actually solve. That's why sometimes, it's best to use the management apps that have been designed specifically for managing cups than printerdrake. The web-based cups interface is the best there is, but it's down to personal preference, and I've never ever come across anywhere that nobody like it - first time I saw it here when you wrote about it. That kind of information is not required and doesn't help in solving your problem.

3. Seeing that you cannot delete it from cups, but from printerdrake shows exactly why point 2 that I wrote about is completely valid. To print you need cups, and now you see that printerdrake is causing you more problems than it actually solves.

4. Task-printing is a virtual package for pulling in the dependencies needed for you to print. That's why it's zero bytes. So nothing to worry about here.

And now, back to your problem. I would delete the printer from printerdrake, and manage it solely with cups, and ensure that you choose the correct make/model when you install it and see if it works. If not, the printer model might not be correct, and you might need to search the internet and find the correct PPD file to add the printer with this.

2. While the drake tools are good, sometimes they cause more problems than they actually solve. That's why sometimes, it's best to use the management apps that have been designed specifically for managing cups than printerdrake. The web-based cups interface is the best there is, but it's down to personal preference, and I've never ever come across anywhere that nobody like it - first time I saw it here when you wrote about it. That kind of information is not required and doesn't help in solving your problem.

Unfortunately my experience has been the opposite: Printerdrake has detected and installed many printers for me over the years whereas installing andd configuring printers from CUPS has been difficult.

4. Task-printing is a virtual package for pulling in the dependencies needed for you to print. That's why it's zero bytes. So nothing to worry about here.

Thanks

And now, back to your problem. I would delete the printer from printerdrake, and manage it solely with cups, and ensure that you choose the correct make/model when you install it and see if it works. If not, the printer model might not be correct, and you might need to search the internet and find the correct PPD file to add the printer with this.

Unfortunately I cannot get CUPS to accept any username or password including root so checked in /etc/cups.Some where along the line, the ppd file for the Samsung got renamed Samsung.xxx.ppd.old and a new file got put in place. Once I removed the new file and removed the ".old" suffix all was well. Don't know what happened b/c used to have quick PDFs with Samsung but still suffering slow PDFs compared to the Brother multi-function but that is for another thread.

Thanks