Can I convert from AGP to PCI graphics card?

rogerh

Hello,

Sorry about this second post on the graphics cards, but as I get more involved it becomes less clear..... I am currently running a Rage IIc AGP card. Can I switch over to a PCI card (I have extra slots) or is this not possible from a hardware/cpu perspective?? Since there do not seem to be any current performance AGP 1x cards being made anymore, if I can't switch it is finally getting time for a new computer....

Thanks -- Roger

PS - if the switch over is possible, any comments on my earlier post would be appreciated.....

Thanks for the input. I did order a card, so I'll see how it works (may get back if the bios needs an edit, as I have not done that before). The motherboard is older, with AGP and PCI only. The existing graphics card is about 12 years old, so a low-end agp card probably describes it (if not too complementary). My system really gets bogged down on the web recently, and I am assuming this is due to the remarkable amounts of graphics (advertising) that is being pushed to the computer. It could be that I will have to update the computer further with a current mother board and new CPU. I wanted to address this one step at a time, and am hoping that the graphics card will at least provide some temporary relief......

Thanks -- Roger

• 1 month later...

I ended up having to get the new mother board and CPU, and so never had the chance to test out the PCI graphics card. Thanks for the input and direction, since from the comments it seemed like the move to the new system was the only real solution. This problem solved.

Thanks again -- Roger