Is Mandriva Finished This Time?

spinynorman

Hello Willie.

I don't think you need to worry about Mageias' future.

While it was a fork of Mandriva, it had or has nearly all or most of the original team that made Mandriva such a great OS. It will no longer really depend on Mandriva for its future.

It is no way comparable to Pclinuxos which at lest originally was mostly the work of one great man.

At the moment, Mandriva2011 is a real mess, especially considering how good 2010.1 was.

Cheers. John.

Hello Willie.

While it was a fork of Mandriva, it had or has nearly all or most of the original team that made Mandriva such a great OS. It will no longer really depend on Mandriva for its future.

It is no way comparable to Pclinuxos which at lest originally was mostly the work of one great man.

At the moment, Mandriva2011 is a real mess, especially considering how good 2010.1 was.

Cheers. John.

Mandriva 2011 i never used it, i use MCNLive based on 2010 and it's stable. I only hope that Mageia with Mageia 2 still fits on a Cd

Hello Willie.

Cheers. John.

This explains the horrendous time 2011 has given me.

• 2 weeks later...

Full text of Ostatic post:

In a short post today Jean-Manuel Croset said that recent events have lead the failing company to postpone any final decisions for a week. Earlier this month a letter to shareholders stated that Mandriva would have to close its doors by January 16 without an influx of capital.

January 16 came and went without word while anxious users paced the floors over at the Mandriva Forums. Then earlier today Croset published his post. Unfortunately, it's a little short on detail.

All we know now is that someone is interested in buying Mandriva, but it's still in the talking stage. It sounds as though Mandriva is hoping for an official written offer by January 23. If it comes through, and the check clears, Mandriva may be saved.

I said it last time, Mandriva always seems to pull some benefactor out of the hat at the last minute every time. Let's hope there's a little of that magic left this time. Croset said they would let us know on January 23 the future of Mandriva.