driver for USB 3G modem Nova Media icon 461?

Guest Herve5

Guest Herve5

I have an MSI notebook with Mandriva 2010.2 on it, and am considering buying the USB 3G modem named "icon 461" from Nova Media, described here: http://www.novamedia.de/en/icon-461.html

On their website they announce a broad "linux compatibility" but with no details, and the salesperson I contacted has, well, left for gathering more information :) Moreover this product is recent...

Is there an experience here of finding/installing drivers for Mandriva for this "icon 461"?

(in addition the modem doubles as a GPS receiver, which would allow me to create a giant-screen, Openstreetmap-based GPS locator for my truck!)

TIA!

Hervé

Guest Herve5

Hmm... I'm going to try anyway (the reseller confirmed my kernel version incorporates his drivers by default), but the feeling I retain is, there is really no real activity around Mandriva... :huh:

Edited by Herve5

A number of people (including myself) have found it necessary to use network-manager, rather than drakxnet, in order to get some 3G modems to work in Mandriva. (So if it doesn't seem to work, that's something to try.)

Jim

Guest Herve5

A number of people (including myself) have found it necessary to use network-manager, rather than drakxnet, in order to get some 3G modems to work in Mandriva. (So if it doesn't seem to work, that's something to try.)

Jim

Well, I received the modem, and (of course) nothing happens when I plug it in, while I checked on a macintosh that it does connect when properly driven.

Nothing detected when drakxnet on Mandriva.

So, I went to the package installer GUI, and installed network manager (Knetworkmanager in fact): it now prettily appears in the "launcher" menu but when I select it, nothing happens. Rebooted just to see, no better.

What could I do?

(FWIW, the SIM card asks for a code, which I had to enter during the test on the mac)

TIA!

Hervé