WebCam

AussieJohn

Hi all.

I am thinking of buying the named webcam but thought that I should get members views first

I have installed Skype and intend to experiment using it to contact my dear friends in Maine USA.

What other packages do I need to install as well ???. Even though it is a USB device, does it need any extra special drivers etc., ???.

Cheers. John.

Hi John,

Have a Logitech webcam myself.

For Windows i had to install a whole bunch of things, but in Mandriva it worked just out-of-the-box.

Need to say, i have another type/model, Logitech Pro 9000.

Very nice cam this C910 HD.

Good luck,

isadora

PS: And a little something to read.

Edited by isadora

Hello Isadora.

I now have my new Logitech C910 Webcam and have connected it up but am not sure where to go from here. There is no activity light showing as connected or anything.

In hardware it is listed as an audio device and the maker number and model number are shown correctly. (I read somewhere that this is usual ???.) The two numbers also appear in the program Camstream as <UVC Camera (046D:0821)>.

I think therefore that it is being detected.

What programs have you installed and use to get action ???.

Cheers. John.

John,

When i connect my webcam, no activity-light is shown on my webcam neither.

But when opening Cheese (for example) instantly the activity-light on the cam

is showing up. And the cam produces pictures.

In MCC->Hardware the webcam-information showing up, is as follows:

Identification

Vendor: ‎Logitech, Inc.

Description: ‎QuickCam Pro 9000

Media class: ‎Video|Video Control

Connection

Bus: ‎USB

Bus PCI #: ‎2

PCI device #: ‎3

Vendor ID: ‎0x046d

Device ID: ‎0x0990

Misc

Module: ‎uvcvideo

Thanks Isadora.

Cheese showed my Webcam to be working just as you suggested. Blue activity lights lit up both sides of the webcam.

Wow, are those pictures incredibly sharp, and the Auto-focus is something else again. I am thoroughly delighted with my choice.

Below is what I get in MCC Hardware. Strange isn't it ???.

Now to find what other packages besides Cheese can show webcams

Cheers. John.

Identification

Vendor: ‎Logitech, Inc.

Description: ‎Unknown

Media class: ‎Audio|Control Device

Connection

Bus: ‎USB

Bus PCI #: ‎2

PCI device #: ‎2

Vendor ID: ‎0x046d

Device ID: ‎0x0821

Misc

Module: ‎snd_usb_audio

John,

Maybe something else you can take a look at, is v4l2cup.

Nice tool for fiddling around with different settings, and testing.

isadora

Edited by isadora

Special thanks Isadora and Ian. :thumbs:

I chased down the guvcview, aMSN and the v4lucp, and installed them. In googling for these packages I discovered the amazing website...linux Packages .org.

This has to be one of the best kept secrets on the net. Wow and double Wow. :party0046:

I am dumping aMSN. No guesses why.

guvcview seem to do all I want to be able to do so it will stay. v4lucp abilities seem to be in guvcview so I think it can go as well but I will hang on to the rpm in case I find that it can do something that guvcview cannot.

I will leave Cheese in place for now.

I have not been able to exercise your joint suggestions regarding VLC since I cannot seem to work out how to do so.

I have Skype installed but have not tried to really use it yet so time will tell. I am going through such a vast and fast learning phase at the moment that sometimes I am not quite sure where I am at. :D

I am currently building a second (backup) desktop box and have succeeded in setting up my main computer to Wi-Fi using a TP-Link Wireless Usb Adaptor and it took quite some mucking around to finally stumble on to what needed to be done. It runs very well even after some dozen reboots (I am trying out Mageia beta 2 as well). I am doing this so I no longer will have a physical connection to the phone line during Cyclones, Lightning storms etc. During such conditions we routinely pull all power plugs which we did during Cyclone Yasi, however our computers were still connected by the phone line to the ADSL modem. A Lightning bolt hit the footpath just 30 metres away from us, straight over the top of the underground Telstra phone lines. All the phones and computers connected to those lines in our street were ruined. We were without phone lines for 15 days because every cable had to be replaced, wall sockets repaired and so on. The Telstra Techs did an amazing job especially considering the miserable wet weather at the time. :thumbs:

With the additional box it will be able to go on line quickly no matter what room it is in so it will be a bonus.

Cheers. John.

John,

Using your webcam in VLC, the following workaround should work:

In VLC->Media->Open capture device...

...under "Device Selection" fill out for "Device name": /dev/video0

(In my case it was /dev/video1, because there is another webcam integrated in

my laptop).

When done, hit the "Play"-button.

isadora