Failed install from DVD, hard disk or NFS

Guest flongbox

Guest flongbox

2010.1 won't install from DVD (free), or hard disk, or NFS install from boot disk. The text mode install fails with grub not found, shorewall not found, mandi_ifw not found, and fails on X install. The graphics mode install fails with ldconfig not found. The text mode install reports a successful install and says to reboot. But the log shows no packages were installed. Grub, shorewall and mandi RPMs are all in the hard disk folder I copied off the DVD. What should I do now? System: Thinkpad T21 laptop. Thanks.

Hello Flongbox. Welcome to MUB.

Did you burn the ISO to the dvd disc or did you simply copy it to the dvd. From what you say in your post it seems that you may have unpacked the iso and placed all the rpms in a folder or partition of the hard drive.

I think you may be thinking Windows style install. Please give us a more detailed description of everything you did after downloading the ISO so we can more clearly see where you may have gone wrong.

Remember, the Windows way of doing things is not the LINUX way of doing things even though using Linux may seem to be similar to use as Windows.

Cheers. John.

I think he's probably started from the DVD OK, as he says the text mode installer has failed, so he would have had to have booted for this to work.

Probably it's a bad burn or the ISO checksum is bad, and so probably might need to download the ISO again, but check the md5sum for the ISO first to verify it's OK, and if so, burn the CD/DVD again but at a slower speed.