saving film from a livestream

Kieth

Often streams can be saved using xine or mplayer. I don't know if it's possible to view and save simultaneously with mplayer but xine can do it. I was not able to view your suggested example media, however I was able to view a short video at http://livestream.rai.it.edgestreams.net/ which said "Sorry, this content is reserved to the users in the Italian country".

Before saving with xine be sure to configure the directory for saving streams, you will find that in xine's settings menu; Settings/Setup/Media.

Using xine:

xine mmsh://livestream.rai.it.edgestreams.net/#save:edgestream.wmv

if you prefer to save without viewing or listening use:

xine --hide-gui --hide-video mmsh://livestream.rai.it.edgestreams.net#save:edgestream.wmv\;noaudio\;novideo

Using mplayer:

mplayer mmsh://livestream.rai.it.edgestreams.net/ -dumpstream -dumpfile stream.wmv

edit:

I just noticed two packages that are supposed to save streams, however I have no experience with them. They are mms_client and mmsrip.

Edited by boatman9

Sometimes the media stream URL is hidden in a web page or something. In some cases I've used Wireshark to find the correct URL. Don't hesitate to ask for help if you need it. Mostly I'm just asking questions on this board, it's nice to be able to answer some questions as well!

Thanks for the help. I knew what the stream was, because I would start RAI in console, and the stream would be listed. The first day after your post, I was able to get the livestream working (to see it that is) in mplayer, but never in xine. I never did figure out how to record it in either player. Then the second day, RAI changed it's web site, also putting on a special filter or something, and now I can't even watch it, let alone anything else. Starting firefox in console, like before, and going to RAI, only shows that there is a "security" issue (or something like that). The security issue is only that they will not let me see the livestream file anymore. Therefore I tried to install Wireshark, but I couldn't get it working. After that, I just gave up. :P As I said, I can't even watch RAI in linux because the moonlight program isn't able to handle it. The only way to watch RAI now is in WXP.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I finally got wireshark up and going. Now for the dumb question. After I see all the numbers all over the place, what number/line am I suppose to enter into xine or mplayer to record a livestream? BTW, I did read the instructions to wireshark, and I even tried to understand them!

Thanks,

Kieth

Using the Opera browser, I usually just go to the cache folder in /home/~/.opera/cache/ and look for the large file to save. I rename it after saving it. For some reason, this method does not work so well in Windows though.

There are also some Fedora rpm's I tried in the past with Mandriva to save youtube videos (don't need these rpm's if you use Opera). These rpms are abby and cclive.

clive, cclive, and abby - .flv extactor

Here is another related link: Can you download youtube videos? If so, how?

EDIT: I should have read your post more carefully. I was writing about saving videos, not livestream feeds. I have not tried to save a livestream feed.

Edited by David Batson

... After I see all the numbers all over the place, what number/line am I suppose to enter into xine or mplayer to record a livestream? ...

Here is my Wireshark technique for finding the URL of the video. It's useful only in some instances. In this example the video is not a live stream.

Take your browser to a web page where a video is available, such as

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Deepwater_Horizon_fire_seen_by_US_Coast_Guard_helicopter.ogv

Don't start playing the video yet.

Set up Wireshark for capture, I usually clear all the tick boxes in Display Options. Activate Wireshark capture, then go to the browser and begin playing the video. After the video has begun to play, stop it, and also stop the Wireshark capture. Click on one of the captured video packets somewhere in the middle of the captured video segment.

Under Analyze, select "Follow TCP Stream". A new window will open, near the top you will see

GET /wikipedia/commons/f/f7/Deepwater_Horizon_fire_seen_by_US_Coast_Guard_helicopter.ogv HTTP/1.1
Host: upload.wikimedia.org

Translate it to a URL, download or play the video using wget, xine, mplayer, or another tool:

wget http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f7/Deepwater_Horizon_fire_seen_by_US_Coast_Guard_helicopter.ogv

To David.

EDIT: I should have read your post more carefully. I was writing about saving videos, not livestream feeds. I have not tried to save a livestream feed.

:P I still tried it, using the wikipedia link given by boatman. I downloaded opera and tried to run the link, but opera won't run it. It just sits there saying that it is opening it.

Boatman, gotta question. Do I have to run wireshark in root. Actually, that's the only way I can get it to work.

I have 3 capture devises listed, lo, eth0 and Pseudo-device. In the window that opens up after clicking on "Follow TCP Stream", this is the output in the window that opens up:

lo

|/dev/hda|???|ERR|*|

etho

.....7:(..J....[K....N

...sVo...y.6....[l..J..2....L

u.LNU2.u.N]..d.....

Pseudo-device that captures on all interfaces: any

|/dev/hda|???|ERR|*|

Yes it's correct, it must be ran as root unfortunately. I wondered sometime ago if there was a way to configure it so that the standard user had full access to the network card, then it might just run as a normal user, but I never searched to find out. Maybe I'll do it :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.