Strange occurence when logging into Gnome...

LukeK

Hello all,

Today I fired up the ol' computer and attempted to boot into Gnome. The loading screen came up and a few of my programs also came up as it restored my last session. However, 3-4 seconds into the process, it goes to the blackscreen, shuts everything down, and reboots the system. I didn't do anything strange on the last shutdown, I simply used the normal command as root in the console: shutdown -h now

It repeats this process every time I try to boot into Gnome. What could be the problem?

Thanks for your time,

Luke K

Next time you boot, hit ESC at the lilo boot screen (not sure if it works with grub) and type

linux 3

and then login as regular user and see if there is a file in your user's home directory called .xsession-errors with any useful info in it. Also, as root, look in /var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages and see if there are any unusual occurences around the time of the spontaneous reboot. It could be several things. Your CPU fan could be stopping causing your cpu to overheat and halting the system. You could have bad RAM or something up with your video card. It could also be strictly a software problem.

a corrupt session though the reboot thing is weird. Only way to fix it is to start over with a new gnome desktop, that I know of anyway.

copy and past this in a terminal and hit Enter>logout of current de/wm (you do have another rt?)>log into gnome.

mv .gnome gnomeold && mv .gnome2 .gnome2old && mv .gnome2_private .gnome2_privateold && .gnome_private .gnome_privateold && .gconf .gconfold && .gconfd .gconfdold

Or, create a new user and see if the same happens.

You could also look at .xsession-errors for clues as to why in another de/wm or from init 3.

[EDIT]ooops...I started the post.....went to have dinner....finished......and Steve beat me to it :juggle:

Edited by bvc

Now this is strange. I logged in using the linux 3 thing that Steve mentioned and checked out the .xsession file. This of course had data about my last KDE startup and not Gnome so I returned to the regular login screen and attempted to boot into Gnome to duplicate the errors. For some strange reason it just starts right up. No problems at all. The only noticeable difference is that some random icons on one of my taskbars are gone. Not sure what happened but it appears to be working as of now. Thanks for the help guys.