Ports and Connections

I have a Centos 5 server running in a Windows network. The Windows server is the DNS and Controller for the domain. The Centos machine is hosting a mail server and a web server. I am using ftp and ssh (via putty and xming) to access the machines. The problem is that putty only gets a response on port 21 or 22. I need to access the web server for updates and the Windows box has ftp access for the business users, which I can access on port 21. I have opened port 31 on the firewall (a router) and on the firewall in the linux box. I have turned off SELinux. I get no response. I have to access the network, change the port for the designated ip on the router, and then log in. It seems I should be able to access the three machines on the linux box through port designation. Any suggestions? What am I missing?

The router is the firewall. The Windows box is not serving as a firewall. BTW, I checked my own router and firewall and opened the appropriate ports there.

As root:

netstat -tunlp

what ports are listening? Do you see port 31? If not then that could be your problem. I'm assuming your wanting to connect to port 31 on the Linux box from other Windows machines.

I'm also wondering how you are attempting to connect to the machine? If with putty and SSH, then of course that is port 22. Otherwise, you've not really explained to well what you're trying to achieve?

Ian, I forgot to restart sshd after changing its listening port. DUH!

I am simply attempting to maintain access to any of the servers from the same session at my office. I have done this after completing the entire task properly. It is important to restart the sshd service after making config changes. As usual, the problem is user-related. LOL

I have assigned ports on the firewall to the specific ip addresses of each machine. As you know, since they all have the same external ip, the port designates which address gets the call.

Edited by Ixthusdan