Another one jumps ship...

{BBI}Nexus{BBI}

I had never heard of Songbird before so personally I'll hardly miss it, but according to Wikipedia it's GPL2 software, so if there is any interest someone will fork it and continue Linux developement. With GPL'd software this could actually mean that the forked versions gets better than the original and the original fades into insignificance.

I seriously hope that no outsider takes a look at the comments on that and believes it to be indicative of the Linux community as a whole. They come across as a bunch of whiny brats. The organisation has limited resources and decided to focus on the wider user base, a harsh reality of real life. Get over it and grow up.

I seriously hope that no outsider takes a look at the comments on that and believes it to be indicative of the Linux community as a whole.

I hope they do. I hope they realise that just because your product is "free" you can't 'wine and dine' the community, you can't encourage their support and feedback to improve your product only to drop them as soon as you get a better offer.
They come across as a bunch of whiny brats.
Or come across as users who give a damn, so much so they choose to voice their disgust.
The organisation has limited resources and decided to focus on the wider user base, a harsh reality of real life.
Interesting how this has become an issue as soon as they decided to step into the video arena. I'm sure the fact that DRM and Open Source don't mix has nothing to do with it.
Get over it and grow up.
I'll leave that flame bait alone...huh.gif

Tried Songbird once, then removed it again. I prefer Amarok as a Music library/player/etc. When I need/use a simple player for music, VLC is doing a fine job.

I have surely included Songbird to my list of the most badly designed bloated/disfunctional software ever, so I wouldn't care less about their drop of support for *nix.

Fork it? Whatfor? Bugs shouldn't be forked...

Whoa...It must be one of the few times I actually agrees with scarecrow :D

I am not really an Amarok fun. Whoever is may try Clementine, which immitates Amarok 1.4.X, but without any KDE dependency (just QT4), while Foobar2000 (arguably the best windoze music manager ever) works just fine under WINE- preferrably with OSS4 instead of alsa.